The Rules

After each performance show, Rob and Tristi must predict the bottom three and the person who will be voted off. For each correct bottom three guess, they get one point. Correctly guessing the loser gets three points.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tristi's Thoughts ...

It's so tempting to read Rob's blog before posting my own ... but I won't. In the immortal words of Audrey Hepburn in her role of Eliza Doolittle, "I'm a good girl, I am."

The first thing I would like to critique tonight ... Miley Cyrus's outfit. I'm one of those who believes that if your shirt is longer than your shorts, get longer shorts. It's a little strange to see a girl running around in what appears to be just a shirt and boots. Oh, wait, what was that? I do believe I caught a glimpse of shorts there somewhere.

Moving on ...

Lee His performance showed more personality this week, but the song choice ... I don't know. It wasn't really him. I think he's safe, but I think it's more on the merit of his other performances and his already established fan base.

Paige She's my first choice for bottom three. Her voice has a nice tone to it, when she manages to use it correctly. But I haven't seen her use it correctly for a long time. Tonight she was pitchy and nervous.

Tim I really don't know what to say here. I think it was better than his other performances, which doesn't necessarily mean that it was good, but he's got a solid fan base. Pre-teen girls are all over this guy.

Aaron I wasn't blown away by Aaron, but I have to say, tonight was the first night I started to understand why he's in the competition. He really does have some talent in there. He's also got the pre-teen demographic, so he should be safe.

Crystal This girl is amazing. It really doesn't matter if you like her kind of music or not - she's so good at it, that even if you don't care for the song, you have to admire the artistry. Lily had the same kind of thing going, but Lily always sounded the same. Crystal brings variety to her sound, even though it's definitely her each and every time. In my notes on the performances, I wrote merely, "She just is." She's rock solid.

Mike Unlike Rob, I did watch American Idol all the way from auditions, and I fell in love with Mike from the start. Watching him coax his wife through labor via phone during Hollywood Week ... how could you not have a soft spot for the guy? He's got awesome vocals, a great personality ... tonight might not have been his best, but it was pretty dang good. He's safe.

Andrew I think Simon was right when he said they overrated Andrew's performance of "Straight Up." Andrew has not hit that level since then, and he hit a new low tonight. He's another choice for the bottom three.

Katie She did listen to the judges, but I have to say this ... I think the judges are steering her wrong. She has an older sound to her voice. She has moments where she sounds like a young female Buble, and they're trying to make her into a young, bubbly pop star. She is an old soul, and her voice shines when she sings the older songs. Would she make a million dollars? Probably not. But she'd be showcasing herself to the best of her ability. I think they need to leave her alone. Verdict: I think she's safe, but I don't think she did as well as the judges say she did.

Casey Rob compared Casey to Bucky Covington, but I have to say, oh, that's so not the case. Bucky was a hillbilly from the hilliest part of all hillbilly-dom, but Casey is hot. Casey is to the older woman what Tim and Aaron are to the younger girls. Casey is not going anywhere for a while. Despite what the judges said, I thought tonight he had a perfect song choice. He does have a little bit of that Huey Lewis sound - I didn't notice that until tonight, and I'm a huge Huey fan. Anyway, Casey is safe.

Didi Didi is my third choice for the bottom three. I just don't feel this girl's vibe. She has a nice sound, for one song. If I were to listen to a whole album of her, I'd go nuts. I sort of felt the same way about Lacy. I could handle one song, and then I'd want something else.

Siobhan I do understand that this girl has her own style, but I can't go any further without first saying ... the hair? Hello, girl, what are you doing? Okay, moving on ... I didn't really like the song choice, but she sang it well. She has an awesome voice and I think she could sing anything. She's definitely safe.

So, for my three bottom, I have Paige, Andrew, and Didi. To leave us tomorrow night ... Paige.

And there you have it - a critique on American Idol without having to watch Simon and Kara flirt shamelessly with each other in front of ten million people even though she's married and he's engaged. What's up with that?

9 comments:

RobisonWells March 24, 2010 at 6:23 AM  

I think you're nuts about Didi. She has both a decent voice (definitely not the best) and the Hot Girl votes.

Other comments:

I'm not as bothered by Kara flirting with Simon as I am with Kara flirting with Casey. Ugh.

I couldn't quite tell from your comments... Did you not like the song Crystal sang, or are you just saying "other people might not like the song"? Because people who do not like Me And Bobby McGee are communists, through and through. You know who didn't like Janis Joplin? STALIN.

Tristi Pinkston March 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

What I'm saying is that Janis Joplin doesn't appeal to everyone. American icon, yes. History of music changing, yes. But not everyone's cup of tea, Communist or not.

I didn't think Kara was exactly appropriate with Casey, but at least she's not hanging on him every single second of the show.

My statement about Didi was my personal feeling ... must keep in mind, Hot Girl Votes don't sway me. :) I like her for one song here and there. A whole album ... not.

RobisonWells March 24, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

I agree that other people might not like the song. But perhaps you missed my point: those people are stupid and I don't care what they think.

The Hot Girl votes don't sway me either--though probably more than they sway you ;). I'm just saying that the Hot Girl votes are going to keep her out of the bottom three. You're not nuts not to like her--you're nuts for putting her in the bottom three.

(See how this blog is titled "Point/Counterpoint"? My counterpoints are usually ad hominem attacks, commie.)

Tristi Pinkston March 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

But you have to care what those people think if those people are voting. It's the voters who determine who leaves or stays. And if you don't take those people into consideration, then your predictions will be wrong, because, again, they vote.

Here's my thinking on Didi. The people who like her like what she has done in the past. I'm not sure they're going to like how she changed things up last night.

And besides, can't I put someone in the bottom three just because I don't like them?? Sure, it's passive aggressive, but better than egging their house ...

RobisonWells March 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM  

Well, to alter a quote from The Princess Bride, this debate will end tonight when the results are announced and "we find out who is right and who is dead." In this case, I will be right, and you will be dead (figuratively).

Haley Hatch Freeman March 24, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

Fun blog! I think Paige is gone tonight- at least I hope so.

Tristi- I'm sick of watching Kara and Simmon all over each other too! I don't get it.

Tristi Pinkston March 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

My esteemed opponent,

I do believe I already am figuratively dead, seein' as how I couldn't get the dang computer to work last week. Death doesn't faze me. Death = Faze? Incorrect.

But I can still run around being snarky. Death = lack of snark? Incorrect.

But that's why you asked me to come play ...

Why Not? Because I Said So! March 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

Tristi, I agree about Didi, I could not listen to a whole CD of her voice without needing serious mental help afterward.

I really like reading your arguments Rob and Tristi, I mean your constructive dialogue.

Followers

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP